The ANC in the Free State is back in court today, after an application was lodged by disgruntled ANC members to nullify the outcomes of the Provincial Elective Conference which took place this past Sunday and Monday.
It was at this conference in Parys that Free State Premier Ace Magashule secured another term as Chairperson of the ANC in the province – a position he has occupied since 1994. OFM news spoke to an attorney for the applicants, Hanno Bekker, earlier this week and he said his clients also intended on applying to nullify the ‘surprise’ Provincial General Council (PGC) meeting that took place two weeks ago, where presidential hopeful Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma and Magashule secured nominations for President and Secretary General of the party respectively.
ANC member, Sello Dithebe, told OFM News some of the delegates who attended the conference were not processed properly. Dithebe said, “many people were simply given phone calls to say come and be a provincial conference delegate”.
The allegation that more Branch General Meetings (BGMs) were irregular comes after the Free State High Court ruled in late November that 29 BGMs were irregular and had to be rerun before the conference could continue.